Manasota Optics, Inc. (MOI) is a “build to print” manufacturer of metal optical components that are used in the Defense and Aerospace Sector. MOI fabricates metal optical components for Military and Commercial Applications that are used in various sighting systems, laser rangefinders, targeting and infrared countermeasure systems, scanners, biological & chemical detection systems and space applications.
MOI is a key supplier to many US Prime Defense Contractors as well as Defense Contractors to the German and Turkish Governments.
Our customers include BAE Systems, Ball Aerospace, Chemring Detection, FLIR, Gatan, Lockheed Martin, Luminar, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Northrop Grumman, and various U.S. Goverment agencies and Universities.
MOI’s quality and delivery rating is near 100% with our customers. This is achieved by our talented production employees, most of which have 30-35 years’ experience with metal optics.
Currently MOI is a build to print manufacturer but has extensively worked with many customers through engineering and procurement to create a product that is not only functional but is also cost efficient.
Our manufacturing facility and administrative offices are located in Sarasota, Florida. We are located within 5 miles of the Bradenton / Sarasota International Airport and about 55 miles from the Tampa International Airport.
Manasota Optics has an export license though the Department of State and exports optical components overseas to Turkey as well as Germany.
Manasota Optics is proud to hold many certifications that demonstrate MOI’s ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- ISO 9001:2015 Certificate Number: 9441QMS001
- United States/Canada Joint Certification Program Registration Number: 0060631
- US Department of State Manufacturer and Exporter Letter
- Woman Owned Small Business (WOSB)
- SAM Registered
- Cage Code Number: 03ZA9
- Duns Number: 835563628
- FEIN Number: 65-0487199
- Florida Division of Corporations Number: P94000034113
- NAICS Code: 333314
- ITAR Registered
Our mission is to provide our customers products that are second to none in our industry. Our vast experience with metal optics has allowed us to evaluate our customer’s design for manufacturability which in return creates a functional, but cost-efficient product that is delivered to our customers when promised.
We strive to accomplish our mission through the following Quality Objectives:
CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: Achieve a rating of 5 on scale of 1 through 5. This is monitored through all areas of the customer base (engineering, purchasing, quality, etc.), from the quoting stage through final shipment.
ON TIME DELIVERY: achieve and maintain 95% or better on time delivery rating.
DEFECT FREE PRODUCT: scrap rate to be < 1.0% of cost of goods sold.
SUPPLIER SATISFACTION: supplier performance will be measured on MOI supplier performance report with less than 10% of all suppliers receiving a “below expectations” rating. If a supplier does not meet expectations, MOI will explain the reason and when appropriate, a supplier discrepancy report requesting corrective action will be issued and/or a more suitable supplier will be evaluated.
Our mission is to provide our customer a product which is second to none in the metal optics industry. It is our personal commitment to deliver a defect free, on time product at the most competitive price within our business sector. Our objective is not only to meet our customer's quality standards, but to be the standard for others.
We will achieve our mission through:
- Open communication with our customer. We will clarify customer product specifications and quality requirements to ensure we have a clear understanding before the production process begins. This process will continue with our employees during the production stage. The final product compliance will be verified to ensure our product meets our customer's expectations.
- Understanding that our reputation IS our business. Quality is our basic strategy for survival and a requirement for future growth.
- By adopting a policy of continual improvement and by paying attention to "lessons learned". If we fail by producing a defective product, we will determine what went wrong and how to avoid future occurrences.
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: Achieve a rating of 5 on scale of 1 through 5. This is monitored through all areas of the customer base (engineering, purchasing, quality, etc.), from the quoting stage through final shipment.
- ON TIME DELIVERY: achieve and maintain 95% or better on time delivery rating.
- DEFECT FREE PRODUCT: scrap rate to be < 1.0% of cost of goods sold.
- SUPPLIER SATISFACTION: supplier performance will be measured on MOI supplier performance report with less than 10% of all suppliers receiving a “below expectations” rating. If a supplier does not meet expectations, MOI will explain the reason and when appropriate, a supplier discrepancy report requesting corrective action will be issued and/or a more suitable supplier will be evaluated.
Diamond Turning—Flycutting Machines
- 6 SPDT machines with additional machines to be added in the near future
- Upgraded Controllers installed in 2009
- Polishing / Grinding Machines
- 72” Strasbaugh Planetary Polisher
- 9 Single Spindle Polishing / Lapping Machines
- Dual Spindle Polishing / Lapping Machine
Thin Film Coating Machine
- 36” x 36” x 36” Box Coater with Sycon Disposition Controller and Brooks Vacuum Gage Controller and CV-8 Power Supply.
- Tenney 30C - 30 Cubic Foot Temperature Chamber with ranges of -100oF to 212oF
- Humidity / Thermal Chamber - Cincinnati Sub Zero Bench Top
Quality & Metrology Testing Equipment
- Zygo® GPI-XP Phase Shift Interferometer
- Zygo® 6" Dynaflect Transmission Flat
- Zygo® 4" Transmission Flat
- Zygo® Mark II Interferometer with radius slide
- Zygo® Transmission Sphere f/0.75
- Zygo® Transmission Sphere f/1.5
- Zygo® Transmission Sphere f/3.3
- Zygo® Transmission Sphere f/7.2
- Ultradex® Sub Arc Second Accuracy Rotary Table
For Larger Optics
- 18" Collimating Lens, OSTI
- Davidson 16" Optical Flat
- Richey Commons Sphere
- Perkin Elmer Lambda 950 Spectrophotometer URA Attachment (Absolute Reflectance Measurement) Reflectivity ranges from 200nm - 3300nm
- Perkin Elmer GX Optica Spectrophotometer. FTIR Reflectivity ranges from 1 Micron - 25+ Microns; PIKE II Variable Angle Accessory
- WYKO NCP-1000 Non-Contact Profilometer
- Brysen Optical Half Aluminized Scratch / Dig Standards
- Tenney TC-30 Temperature Thermal Chamber with Watlow F4 Controller & Honeywell Chart Recorder
- Blue M Temperature Stress Relieve Chamber with Watlow F4 Controller & Honeywell Chart Recorder
- Cincinnati Sub Zero Humidity & Thermal Chamber with Watlow F4 & Honeywell Chart Recorder
- Nikon 6D Autocollimator with calibrated angle blocks
Established in 1994, Manasota Optics, Inc. was founded by David Lowery, a Navy Veteran, after acquiring assets from Applied Optics Center which was closed by IMO Industries (AOC's parent company in 1993). MOI is comprised of personnel with 30 - 35 years’ experience in diamond turning, polishing, and coating of flat "plano" and spherical metal optical components. In 2014, MOI became a majority woman owned business and continue to operate at ISO 9001:2015 certified standards.
We are proud to have been involved with the following programs:
- Laser Rangefinders
- Satellite Imaging
- Military Tanks (M1A1, M1A2, M60)
- Lightweight Laser Designator Rangefinder (LLDR)
- Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR)
Manasota Optics has produced optical components directly through the United States Government, several universities as well as some of the companies listed below:
- BAE Systems
- Ball Aerospace
- Chemring Detection
- Lockheed Martin
- MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- National Center for Atmospheric Research
- Northrop Grumman